About this Episode
In this episode of the Medicinal Herbs podcast series, naturopathic clinician Angela Hywood joins us again as our guest, talking with host Sara Le Brun-Blashka, MS, about thyroid health and herbal approaches to supporting this aspect of human physiology.
Topics discussed include:
- Thyroid hormone cascade and the functionality of the thyroid gland (01:13)
- Role of the liver in thyroid health (07:28)
- Relevance of reverse triiodothyronine (T3) levels (11:08)
- Prevalence of thyroid disorders (18:27)
- Risk factors for thyroid disorders (20:59)
- Men and thyroid health (26:00)
- Goitrogens and thyroid health (32:09)
- Iodine and thyroid health (36:32)
Herbs to Support Optimal Thyroid Health (27:04)
Key Takeaways (39:11)
- Sleep well to mediate stress and cortisol levels.
- Exercise regularly to support healthy thyroid hormone metabolism.
- Maintain a healthy diet with an abundance of vegetables and fruits.
- Be mindful of environmental toxicity.