Zucchini, Carrot, and Curry Couscous
Looking for a different grain to try? Couscous! Not only is it fun to say, it is extremely versatile depending on the flavoring you plan to use. Add your favorite vegetables into the mix and let this grain become the new dinner favorite side dish.
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 T|
|Zucchini, diced||2 c|
|Carrot, grated||1 c|
|Onion, peeled and finely chopped||1/2 c|
|Garlic, peeled and crushed||1 clove|
|Low-sodium vegetable stock or water||1 c|
|Lime juice||1 T|
|Curry powder||1 t|
|Ground cumin||1/2 t|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1/4 t|
|Dried cherries or raisins||1 T|
|Whole wheat couscous||3/4 c|
|Pine nuts or raw cashews||1 T|
- Pour oil into a large saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Add zucchini, carrot, onion, and garlic. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add stock or water, lime juice, curry, cumin, salt, and pepper to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in couscous and cherries.
- Remove from heat, and cover. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover and fluff the couscous with a fork. Then add the sautéed vegetables.
- Spoon the couscous and zucchini into a serving bowl. Sprinkle over the nuts and serve.
Yields 8 servings