About this Episode
Best Herbs for Supporting the Nrf2 Response
Nuclear factor erythroid 2-related factor 2 (Nrf2) is a genetic transcription factor that belongs to an important pathway for supporting health and enhancing resilience to environmental toxins. In this episode of the Medicinal Herbs special season of the WholisticMatters Podcast Series, host Sara Le Brun-Blashka, MS, talks with Professor Kerry Bone about antioxidant response elements (AREs) and the Nrf2 response, a cellular response to stress (1:00).
Three Things to Know About Nrf2 (04:57)
- The discovery of this pathway redefines our understanding of oxidative stress and detoxification
- Phytochemicals from plants are responsible for activating and priming this pathway to make it more efficient
- This pathway has far-reaching health impacts; it is fundamental to the treatment of many health conditions
Role of Nrf2 Response in Detoxification and Cellular Health (11:44)
Cellular health lies at the foundation of whole-body health. The Nrf2 response supports cellular health through the induction of both antioxidant elements and key detox phase II enzymes for the removal of potentially harmful toxins. The Nrf2 pathway is also important for nerve cell protection and mitochondrial support.
Phytochemicals and Herbs for the Nrf2 Response (15:15)
When to Exercise Caution in Stimulating the Nrf2 Pathway (25:30)
Professor Kerry Bone recommends exercising caution with priming the Nrf2 pathway in health contexts of conventional treatments being utilized to target active cancer, such as chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
Clinical Pearls to Implement in Practice (27:26)
- Supporting the Nrf2 pathway is the fundamental basis of mitochondrial therapy.
- Priming the Nrf2 pathway is necessary for detox.
- Assessing the Nrf2 pathway for neuroprotection is an important part of any healthy aging and longevity program.