Scientific Name: Ruscus aculeatus
- Steroidal saponins: ruscogenin, ruscine, ruscoside, aglycones neoruscogenin
- Benzofuranes: euparone, ruscodibenzofurane
- Cardiac Tonic
- Vascular Tonic
Mechanism of Action & Pharmacology:
- Steroidal saponins: Ruscogenins and neoruscogenins contain the basic steroid structure found in adrenocortical hormones and are responsible for the medicinal effects.
- Ruscogenins appear to decrease vascular permeability, reduce inflammation and cause vasoconstriction, reducing hemorrhage and lymphedema. They have proved particularly effective in the treatment of anorectal syndrome, varicose veins and hemorrhoids.
- Ointments and suppositories
Safety & Toxicity Concerns:
- Gastric upset and nausea may occur.
- None known.
- Theoretical interaction with antihypertensives, medications for benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH) & MAO inhibitors.