Scientific Name: Solidago spp.
- Triterpenoid Saponins
- Flavonoids (rutin & quercitin)
- Phenolic glycosides (leiocarposide & virgaureoside)
- Phenolic acids (caffeic & chlorogenic acids)
- Volatile oil
Mechanism of Action & Pharmacology:
- Saponins are antimicrobial, immuno-modulating and have anti-tumor effects.
- Flavonoids are anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and diuretic.
- Volatile oils are antimicrobial & anti-fungal.
- Cytotoxic effects seem to be related to the presence of triterpenoids, which inhibit the lyase activity of DNA polymerase.
- Topical as poultice or compress
Safety & Toxicity Concerns:
- Avoid in known salicylate or Asteraceae allergy, renal and cardiac insufficiency (especially with edema), and in children due to theoretical potential for Reyes Syndrome.
- None known.