1. Grober U, Schmidt J, Kisters K. Magnesium in Prevention and Therapy. Nutrients. Sep 23 2015;7(9):8199-8226.
2. Volpe SL. Magnesium in disease prevention and overall health. Adv Nutr. May 1 2013;4(3):378S-383S.
3. Rosique-Esteban N, Guasch-Ferre M, Hernandez-Alonso P, Salas-Salvado J. Dietary Magnesium and Cardiovascular Disease: A Review with Emphasis in Epidemiological Studies. Nutrients. Feb 1 2018;10(2).
4. Elin RJ. Assessment of magnesium status for diagnosis and therapy. Magnes Res. Dec 2010;23(4):S194-198.
5. Quann EE, Fulgoni VL, 3rd, Auestad N. Consuming the daily recommended amounts of dairy products would reduce the prevalence of inadequate micronutrient intakes in the United States: diet modeling study based on NHANES 2007-2010. Nutr J. Sep 4 2015;14:90.
6. Moshfegh AG, Goldman J, Ahuja J, Rhodes D, LaComb R. What We Eat in America, NHANES 2005-2006: Usual Nutrient Intakes from Food and Water Compared to 1997 Dietary Reference Intakes for Vitamin D, Calcium, Phosphorus, and Magneisum. . Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agriculture Research Service;2009.
7. Wang JL, Shaw NS, Yeh HY, Kao MD. Magnesium status and association with diabetes in the Taiwanese elderly. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2005;14(3):263-269.
8. Olza J, Aranceta-Bartrina J, Gonzalez-Gross M, et al. Reported Dietary Intake, Disparity between the Reported Consumption and the Level Needed for Adequacy and Food Sources of Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium and Vitamin D in the Spanish Population: Findings from the ANIBES Study. Nutrients. Feb 21 2017;9(2).
9. Costello RB, Elin RJ, Rosanoff A, et al. Perspective: The Case for an Evidence-Based Reference Interval for Serum Magnesium: The Time Has Come. Adv Nutr. Nov 2016;7(6):977-993.
10. Vormann J. Magnesium: nutrition and metabolism. Mol Aspects Med. Feb-Jun 2003;24(1-3):27-37.
11. Jahnen-Dechent W, Ketteler M. Magnesium basics. Clin Kidney J. Feb 2012;5(Suppl 1):i3-i14.
12. Rude RK, Gruber HE. Magnesium deficiency and osteoporosis: animal and human observations. J Nutr Biochem. Dec 2004;15(12):710-716.
13. Nielsen FH, Milne DB, Gallagher S, Johnson L, Hoverson B. Moderate magnesium deprivation results in calcium retention and altered potassium and phosphorus excretion by postmenopausal women. Magnes Res. Mar 2007;20(1):19-31.
14. Schwalfenberg GK, Genuis SJ. The Importance of Magnesium in Clinical Healthcare. Scientifica (Cairo). 2017;2017:4179326.
15. Hermes Sales C, Azevedo Nascimento D, Queiroz Medeiros AC, Costa Lima K, Campos Pedrosa LF, Colli C. There is chronic latent magnesium deficiency in apparently healthy university students. Nutr Hosp. Jul 1 2014;30(1):200-204.
16. Elin RJ. Re-evaluation of the concept of chronic, latent, magnesium deficiency. Magnes Res. Dec 2011;24(4):225-227.
17. Mejia-Rodriguez F, Shamah-Levy T, Villalpando S, Garcia-Guerra A, Mendez-Gomez Humaran I. Iron, zinc, copper and magnesium deficiencies in Mexican adults from the National Health and Nutrition Survey 2006. Salud Publica Mex. May-Jun 2013;55(3):275-284.
18. DiNicolantonio JJ, O'Keefe JH, Wilson W. Subclinical magnesium deficiency: a principal driver of cardiovascular disease and a public health crisis. Open Heart. 2018;5(1):e000668.
19. Kunutsor SK, Whitehouse MR, Blom AW, Laukkanen JA. Low serum magnesium levels are associated with increased risk of fractures: a long-term prospective cohort study. Eur J Epidemiol. Jul 2017;32(7):593-603.
20. Orchard TS, Larson JC, Alghothani N, et al. Magnesium intake, bone mineral density, and fractures:
results from the Women's Health Initiative Observational Study. Am J Clin Nutr. Apr 2014;99(4):926-933.
21. Rude RK, Singer FR, Gruber HE. Skeletal and hormonal effects of magnesium deficiency. J Am Coll Nutr. Apr 2009;28(2):131-141.
22. Mahdavi-Roshan M, Ebrahimi M, Ebrahimi A. Copper, magnesium, zinc and calcium status in osteopenic and osteoporotic post-menopausal women. Clin Cases Miner Bone Metab. Jan-Apr 2015;12(1):18-21.
23. Szkup M, Jurczak A, Brodowska A, et al. Analysis of Relations Between the Level of Mg, Zn, Ca, Cu, and Fe and Depressiveness in Postmenopausal Women. Biol Trace Elem Res. Mar 2017;176(1):56-63.
24. Rajizadeh A, Mozaffari-Khosravi H, Yassini-Ardakani M, Dehghani A. Effect of magnesium supplementation on depression status in depressed patients with magnesium deficiency: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Nutrition. Mar 2017;35:56-60.
25. Taveira TH, Ouellette D, Gulum A, et al. Relation of Magnesium Intake With Cardiac Function and Heart Failure Hospitalizations in Black Adults: The Jackson Heart Study. Circ Heart Fail. Apr 2016;9(4):e002698.
26. Fang X, Wang K, Han D, et al. Dietary magnesium intake and the risk of cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, and all-cause mortality: a dose-response meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. BMC Med. Dec 8 2016;14(1):210.
27. Han H, Fang X, Wei X, et al. Dose-response relationship between dietary magnesium intake, serum magnesium concentration and risk of hypertension: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. Nutr J. May 5 2017;16(1):26.
28. Dibaba DT, Xun P, Song Y, Rosanoff A, Shechter M, He K. The effect of magnesium supplementation on blood pressure in individuals with insulin resistance, prediabetes, or noncommunicable chronic diseases: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Am J Clin Nutr. Sep 2017;106(3):921-929.
29. Zhang X, Li Y, Del Gobbo LC, et al. Effects of Magnesium Supplementation on Blood Pressure: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Trials. Hypertension. Aug 2016;68(2):324-333.
30. Rebholz CM, Tin A, Liu Y, et al. Dietary Magnesium and Kidney Function Decline: The Healthy Aging in Neighborhoods of Diversity across the Life Span Study. Am J Nephrol. 2016;44(5):381-387.
31. Sarrafzadegan N, Khosravi-Boroujeni H, Lotfizadeh M, Pourmogaddas A, Salehi-Abargouei A. Magnesium status and the metabolic syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Nutrition. Apr 2016;32(4):409-417.
32. He K, Liu K, Daviglus ML, et al. Magnesium intake and incidence of metabolic syndrome among young adults. Circulation. Apr 4 2006;113(13):1675-1682.
33. Hruby A, Meigs JB, O'Donnell CJ, Jacques PF, McKeown NM. Higher magnesium intake reduces risk of impaired glucose and insulin metabolism and progression from prediabetes to diabetes in middle-aged americans. Diabetes Care. Feb 2014;37(2):419-427.
34. Simental-Mendia LE, Sahebkar A, Rodriguez-Moran M, Guerrero-Romero F. A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials on the effects of magnesium supplementation on insulin sensitivity and glucose control. Pharmacol Res. Sep 2016;111:272-282.
35. Tarighat Esfanjani A, Mahdavi R, Ebrahimi Mameghani M, Talebi M, Nikniaz Z, Safaiyan A. The effects of magnesium, L-carnitine, and concurrent magnesium-L-carnitine supplementation in migraine prophylaxis. Biol Trace Elem Res. Dec 2012;150(1-3):42-48.
36. Adebamowo SN, Spiegelman D, Willett WC, Rexrode KM. Association between intakes of magnesium, potassium, and calcium and risk of stroke: 2 cohorts of US women and updated meta-analyses. Am J Clin Nutr. Jun 2015;101(6):1269-1277.
37. Fang X, Han H, Li M, et al. Dose-Response Relationship between Dietary Magnesium Intake and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Systematic Review and Meta-Regression Analysis of Prospective Cohort Studies. Nutrients. Nov 19 2016;8(11).
38. Hruby A, Guasch-Ferre M, Bhupathiraju SN, et al. Magnesium Intake, Quality of Carbohydrates, and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes: Results From Three U.S. Cohorts. Diabetes Care. Dec 2017;40(12):1695-1702.
39. Guerrero-Romero F, Simental-Mendia LE, Hernandez-Ronquillo G, Rodriguez-Moran M. Oral magnesium supplementation improves glycaemic status in subjects with prediabetes and hypomagnesaemia: A double-blind placebo-controlled randomized trial. Diabetes Metab. Jun 2015;41(3):202-207.
40. Hayhoe RPG, Lentjes MAH, Mulligan AA, Luben RN, Khaw KT, Welch AA. Cross-sectional associations of dietary and circulating magnesium with skeletal muscle mass in the EPIC-Norfolk cohort. Clin Nutr. Jan 30 2018.
41. Veronese N, Stubbs B, Maggi S, et al. Dietary Magnesium and Incident Frailty in Older People at Risk for Knee Osteoarthritis: An Eight-Year Longitudinal Study. Nutrients. Nov 16 2017;9(11).
42. Welch AA, Skinner J, Hickson M. Dietary Magnesium May Be Protective for Aging of Bone and Skeletal Muscle in Middle and Younger Older Age Men and Women: Cross-Sectional Findings from the UK Biobank Cohort. Nutrients. Oct 30 2017;9(11).
43. Wu L, Zhu X, Fan L, et al. Magnesium intake and mortality due to liver diseases: Results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Cohort. Sci Rep. Dec 20 2017;7(1):17913.
44.Wakimoto P, Block G. Dietary intake, dietary patterns, and changes with age: an epidemiological perspective. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. Oct 2001;56 Spec No 2:65-80.
45. Killilea DW, Maier JA. A connection between magnesium deficiency and aging: new insights from cellular studies. Magnes Res. Jun 2008;21(2):77-82.
46. Lin J, Epel E, Blackburn E. Telomeres and lifestyle factors: roles in cellular aging. Mutat Res. Feb 1 2012;730(1-2):85-89.
47. Mazidi M, Kengne AP, Banach M. Mineral and vitamin consumption and telomere length among adults in the United States. Pol Arch Intern Med. Feb 2 2017;127(2):87-90.
48. Shah NC, Shah GJ, Li Z, Jiang XC, Altura BT, Altura BM. Short-term magnesium deficiency downregulates telomerase, upregulates neutral sphingomyelinase and induces oxidative DNA damage in cardiovascular tissues: relevance to atherogenesis, cardiovascular diseases and aging. Int J Clin Exp Med. 2014;7(3):497-514.